This website is brought to you by Halton-with-Aughton Parish Council as an on line focal point for local government, community organisations and local news and events. It’s intended to reflect the whole Parish and what’s happening in the community.
The Parish has seen many changes over recent years, including major improvements to our community centre and recreational areas, the building of the UK’s largest community hydro-electric scheme, the multi-award winning Forgebank eco-community as well as significant changes to the road network with the new Bay Gateway. The Centre @ Halton and Halton Mill hold regular events, such as bands and dances, along with facilities for clubs, classes and businesses.
Halton-with-Aughton is a civil parish located 3 miles (4.8 km) north east of Lancaster, England on the north bank of the River Lune and has a population of 2,360. The main settlement is the village of Halton-on-Lune, commonly just called Halton, with the hamlet of Aughton to the east.
Halton features many 17th and 18th century buildings. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte & bailey castle present in the village. Deep in the village, in the churchyard of St Wilfrids, stands the Halton Cross, which is believed to have been carved by Norsemen over 1000 years ago. The Coins of Canute, which are now in the British museum, were discovered on Halton Moor in 1815. As well as this, vestiges of a Roman camp and an ancient barrow are near the church, it was at this Roman Camp, where the remains of an ancient Roman Altar were discovered.